Search Contextures Sites
My Pivot Table Books:
Excel Pivot Tables Recipe Book
Published March 2006
Excel Pivot Tables Recipe Book: A Problem-Solution Approach assumes that you know the basics of Excel and pivot tables, and provides troubleshooting tips and techniques, and programming examples.
This book is for anyone who uses Excel pivot tables, and who only reads the manual when all else fails. It's designed to help you understand the advanced features and options that are available, as you need them. Experiment with Excel pivot tables, and if you get stuck, search for the problem in this book. With luck, you'll find a solution, a workaround, or, occasionally, confirmation that pivot tables can't do what you want them to do.
You can order your copy of Excel Pivot Tables Recipe Book: A Problem-Solution Approach from the Amazon.com website. The "Look Inside" feature is enabled, so you can see a preview of the contents
- Go to the PivotTables Recipes page:
- Scroll down, and click the Source Code/Downloads tab, then click the Download Now link.
- Click OK when prompted to save the file, then select a folder in which to save the sample files zipped file.
- Creating a Pivot Table: Issues to consider when planning an Excel pivot table, and preparing the source data. Problems that occur when connecting to the source data, and understanding the pivot table options that are available.
- Sorting and Grouping Pivot Table Data: Understanding how data sorts in an Excel pivot table, creating custom sort orders, showing top items only, grouping and ungrouping numbers, dates and text.
- Calculations in a Pivot Table: Using the summary functions and custom calculations, creating calculated items and calculated fields to expand the built-in capabilities, modifying formulas, and adjusting the solve order.
- Formatting a Pivot Table: Autoformatting a pivot table, applying and retaining formatting, creating custom number formats, showing and hiding totals and subtotals.
- Extracting Pivot Table Data: Using the Drill to Details feature to extract underlying records, using the GetPivotData worksheet function to extract Excel pivot table data, turning off the GetPivotData feature, creating pivot table copies with the Show Pages feature.
- Modifying a Pivot Table: Changing the pivot table layout, modifying field and item captions, clearing old items from the field dropdowns, adding comments to data cells, customizing the PivotTable toolbar.
- Updating a Pivot Table: Refreshing the pivot table, refreshing automatically, reconnecting to the source data, changing the source data, creating a dynamic source data range.
- Securing a Pivot Table: Preventing users from changing the pivot table layout, connecting to a password protected data source, using security features, addressing privacy issues.
- Pivot Table Limits and Performance: Understanding limits to pivot table field size, addressing memory issues, maximizing performance, reducing file size.
- Publishing a Pivot Table: Preparing an Excel pivot table for publishing on a web page, with or without interactivity.
- Printing a Pivot Table: Printing headings on every page, repeating row and column labels, adjusting the print area, using the Report Manager to simplify printing.
- Pivot Charts: Restoring lost formatting, creating normal charts from pivot tables, stepping through the Chart Wizard
- Programming a Pivot Table: Recording and using macros, automating Excel pivot table creation, printing, and modification. Sample code for clearing old items from pivot field dropdown lists, refreshing all pivot tables, preventing layout changes, reformatting a pivot chart, changing the pivot cache.
Pivot Table Tutorials on Contextures Website:
Pivot Tables -- Introduction
Pivot Tables -- Create a Pivot Table in Excel 2007
Pivot Tables -- Data Field Layout
Pivot Tables -- Show and Hide Items
Pivot Tables -- Clear Old Items
Pivot Tables -- Field Settings
Pivot Tables -- GetPivotData
Pivot Tables -- Grouping Data
Pivot Tables -- Multiple Consolidation Ranges
Pivot Tables -- Printing
Pivot Tables -- Custom Calculations
Pivot Tables -- Pivot Cache
Pivot Tables -- Protection
Pivot Tables -- Grand Totals
Pivot Tables -- Running Totals
Pivot Tables -- Filter Source Data
Contextures Inc., Copyright ©2014
All rights reserved.
Last updated: May 4, 2014 12:23 AM